Add Video To Your Project Life!

What do YOU do with all the cute little videos you take on your cell phone?  I know mine get uploaded to my computer and if I’m lucky, they won’t disappear into the depths of my hard drive and we’ll maybe watch them again a few years later. Well, I’ve decided that’s not good enough for me, so I’m here to show you how you can incorporate video into your project life or regular digital or paper layouts quickly and easily, plus I have a fun free set of cards at the bottom to help you do just that!

Add Video To Your Project Life: A Tutorial

Step 1: Take your video and upload it to the server of your choice, whether it be YouTube, your own family website, or other photo/video sharing site. If you’re worried about the privacy of your videos on youtube, you can set them so that only people with the link can see them.

Step 2: Visit the QR code generator and follow the steps to create your QR code, it’s a 1 step process so don’t stress!

Step 3: Save your QR code and open it in Photoshop. You’ll notice that it’s really too small of a resolution, but don’t worry, we’ll fix it!

addingQRcodes-trd-step4

Step 4: Little known fact: If you increase the size of a low resolution image 5% at a time, the image will maintain most of it’s integrity, as long as you don’t make it too large. So, increase the size of the QR code by hitting ctrl (or cmd) +t and typing 105% into the top tool bar for width and height. Hit enter to accept the transformation. (see below)

addingQRcodes-trd-step5

Step 5: You’ll notice it doesn’t get that much bigger, but if you hit ctrl (cmd) + shift + t to transform again a few times, it will fill up the box soon. Do so until it’s the size you want it to be.  It WILL be a bit fuzzy, don’t worry, we’ll fix that.

addingQRcodes-trd-step6

Step 6: Once you’ve filled the box with the QR code, It’s time to sharpen!  Go to Layer>Sharpen>Unsharp mask and use the following settings, see how much sharper that looks?

addingQRcodes-trd-step7

Step 7: Now comes the fun part! If you’re using the PSD template, decorate your card to match your spread, otherwise, skip straight to printing.

Step 8: Once your card is printed, use a free QR code reader app like QRReader on your phone and scan the QR code. I haven’t printed mine yet, so I’m going to read straight from the computer, but here are a few screen shots of what happened on my phone when I did so!

image

Scanning the Code

image-1

Code Lead Me to YouTube

image-2

And I can play the video right there on my phone!

You can actually use this technique for all kinds of internet content, maybe you want to go to a certain song or website?  You can make a QR code for that!

Aww, here’s the video I linked up to..half naked baby playing video games LOL

Here’s the link to download the free layered .psd and .png cards, both 3×4 and 4×6, enjoy!

P.S. If you use this technique or the cards, I’d love it if you came back and linked me up so I can see!

treed-worthwatchingcards-preview

56 comments on Add Video To Your Project Life!

1. Sandy Henderson
    January 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

This is so AWESOME! Thanks for sharing, Traci :)

2. Brandy
    January 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm (4 years ago)

OMG! Thank you so much for this idea! My kids are always taking videos of themselves, and they are usually hilarious! And thanks for the free journaling cards, I am definitely going to have to add this to my project life this year!

3. Banna
    January 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm (4 years ago)

Love this idea! Thanks for the share!

4. Emily M.
    January 6, 2013 at 12:41 am (4 years ago)

Traci, this is genius…I will be using this a lot for sure! :) Thank you!!

5. mrshobbes
    January 6, 2013 at 6:34 am (4 years ago)

WOMAN, that is AWEZOME!!!! 😀

6. Megan G.
    January 6, 2013 at 7:17 am (4 years ago)

Brilliant!! Thank you for preparing this tutorial and presenting the information clearly. :)

7. PeggyNC
    January 6, 2013 at 6:54 pm (4 years ago)

thank you so much for this fantastic tutorial. I have wanted to know how to do this for months! You are an awesome person!!

8. melissa
    January 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm (4 years ago)

I already do QR codes to include videos in my Project Life album, but I love your cards! Thanks for sharing!

9. Sue
    January 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm (4 years ago)

I added quite a few QR codes in my PL album last year (and in albums of our Disney trips). I LOVE your journaling cards and will definitely be using them this year :)

10. Christine
    January 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for this!!!! I love the cards and the step by step on getting this done. One big thing for me to figure out was how to rotate videos from the iPhone. I can do it in Windows Movie Maker – just rotate right and save!

• Traci Reed
      January 7, 2013 at 2:02 pm (4 years ago)

You’re welcome! I shot mine vertically and uploaded it to youtube straight from my phone and didn’t need to rotate it!

11. Natalie
    January 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm (4 years ago)

Are you kidding me?! This is BRILLIANT!!! You’re so smart! Now if only I had a smart phone! :)

12. Kelly
    January 8, 2013 at 1:07 am (4 years ago)

OMG that is such an awesome idea!!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

13. Dana K
    January 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm (4 years ago)

I saw this over the summer with a disney project life album and she used http://zxing.appspot.com/generator and they download pretty big…just a little fyi. I love the cards they are awesome!! Thanks so much!

14. Scrap Inès
    January 14, 2013 at 8:08 am (4 years ago)

This is great ! Love the idea, thank you !

15. Lynne-Marie
    January 17, 2013 at 7:07 am (4 years ago)

YOU are amazing Traci! Thanks for the download! I’ll be using this technique for SURE!

16. Kelly
    January 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve been incorporating these codes for awhile now and they are just awesome. Thanks so much for the cards! They are wonderful!

17. libbywilko
    January 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm (4 years ago)

Love the cards, they make putting qr codes in my PL much prettier now ! Thank you.

18. Elizabeth
    January 27, 2013 at 8:08 am (4 years ago)

Love the tutorial! I tried to follow you using your RSS feed but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll check back!

19. Dawn N
    February 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm (4 years ago)

Traci.
    Thanks for this tutorial, I found it from the digi show comments, this is what I have been looking for to add to my girls gymnastics scrapbooks. How cool to have her routine forever (or as long as this technology is around)
    I rally appreciate you showing how easy this is.

20. Krista
    February 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm (4 years ago)

thank you! it was so easy!

21. Tammy
    February 16, 2013 at 1:17 am (4 years ago)

Thank you for this great info on adding videos! And, thank you for the PL cards!

22. Melissa S.
    February 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my heck this has just changed my life!!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

23. Melanie
    March 4, 2013 at 9:22 am (4 years ago)

I love this and we use QR codes at work but you, my dear, have opened my eyes to new techniques! WOW! Thank you!

24. Beth
    March 11, 2013 at 11:21 am (4 years ago)

Wow Traci, This is an awesome idea and I have often wondered what do with all those videos I take. Now I know thanks so much for sharing this.

25. Candie Schaal
    March 12, 2013 at 8:41 am (4 years ago)

HI,

This is wonderful!! I really want to do this but I don’t have photoshop. Can I still do it? Thanks for the help.

Candie

• Traci Reed
      March 13, 2013 at 10:43 am (4 years ago)

Hi there! You can! You can print your QR code directly from the site and adhere it to your project life card instead :) Hope that helps!

26. natalia
    March 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm (4 years ago)

OMG! Technology is amazing!! Thanks for sharing this with us!

27. Farrah Jobling
    March 25, 2013 at 8:10 am (4 years ago)

THANK YOU! So fun!

28. Kristin
    March 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Tracy!
    One question…is there a way to do this and still keep your videos private? I made my video private, then scanned my qr code from my phone and it came up private (obviously, haha) :( just wondering if there was another way to do it. I’m just not sure if I want videos of my daughter on youtube…
    Kristin

29. Kristin
    March 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm (3 years ago)

Would you label it as “unlisted”?

30. Shanell
    April 11, 2013 at 11:23 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much!!! I just did my first one last night after talking about it for weeks! Love that this is psd to cutomize! Thanks again!!!

31. Anne-Marie Cox
    April 27, 2013 at 8:55 am (3 years ago)

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! So simple and it WORKED! 😉

32. iseekblog.com
    June 11, 2013 at 3:40 am (3 years ago)

I think the admin of this web page is really working hard in support of his website,
    because here every information is quality based information.

33. Sue FitzGerald
    February 23, 2014 at 7:12 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, this is awesome.

34. CLAUDIA
    April 2, 2014 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

HEY THERE! THANK YOU FOR A GREAT TUTORIAL. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOUR PERMISSION TO USE YOUR FREE JOURNAL CARDS FOR INSERTING THE QR CODE ON MY SON’S SCHOOL YEARBOOK. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT IS OK (OR NOT :) ) AND WHAT i HAVE TO DO TO DO IT THE “LEGAL” WAY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! cLAUDIA

35. Tracey
    June 29, 2014 at 6:26 am (2 years ago)

ok so im a little behind the times. Just discovered this and am down loading the QR reader app right now! I can’t wait to go back and put videos on my layouts!!!

36. Rachel
    August 6, 2014 at 1:48 pm (2 years ago)

Hello! THANK YOU for this. Love, love, love. Except… I follow every one of your steps and I cannot get my videos to play.

I used QRReader and it opens my video up. So I know the link works and the permissions are correct because I can see it. However, I cannot click PLAY or anything.

When I go thru your steps, I see the same thing as you do (You Tube shows the video)… but how do you PLAY it? Do you have to download it first before playing it?

I must be missing something. *scratches head*

Any advice?

Thank you!

Rachel

• Traci Reed
      August 6, 2014 at 1:51 pm (2 years ago)

Hmm, if you look in the second to last screen shot, there’s a big play button over the video, did you tap your video to see if it played?

37. Nicole
    December 29, 2014 at 9:43 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for that, it took me less than 3 minutes including uploading the file to YouTube (Ok, so it was a short video…). I think I’m going to have to go back and add to past months and my kids’ scrapbooks with these :)

38. Pippa
    September 20, 2016 at 11:18 pm (4 days ago)

Thank you so much. I saved your post a LONG time ago & have finally got around to using it to create QR codes. I had put it off for so long as I am a bit techno-basic but it was sooooooo easy, even I could do it. I have uploaded some vids of a family holiday, but am now looking forward to doing it with a very precious visit of my daughter & I surprising my Mum & Dad with a visit for a special birthday & Christmas. They live in the UK & us in Australia, it is a memory I really wanted to preserve the video of, so thank you again xx

12Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Add Video To Your Project Life!

1. […] wrote up a quick tutorial (with a freebie) on Adding Video to your Project Life Layouts, I can’t wait to do […]

2. […] to incorporate videos that way from an awesome tutorial by Traci Reed. You can read all about it here on her […]

3. […] From TraciReed.com:                   How to Add Videos to Project Life […]

4. […] Worth Watching Journaling Cards & a tutorial on how to add video to your project life layouts. […]

5. […] The left side includes some everyday moment type shots in the grocery store, Starbucks, etc.  I also took a screenshot on my iPhone of the email Apple sent me telling me I could go pick up my computer…eeee!  As you can see, I finally included a video in my spread, using my free card from this tutorial. […]

6. […] Credits: Worth Watching card by me (available for free here), 365Unscripted 3×4 Collage Cards by me, available in the Sweet Shoppe, This Week Cards (M-S) […]

7. […] This was Halloween Week and Class Party, Meet Up with Friends, Outdoor Project and lots more so I have many more layouts to create OR I may start creating Slide Shows in iMovie and add them to my pages or layout. I post all my slideshows on Vimeo. So I am hoping to learn how to add video clips thanks to Traci Reed and her tutorial. […]

8. […] recently read a tutorial by Traci Reed all about adding video to Project Life. I’ve thought of doing this before, but had never taken the time to figure it out step by […]

9. […] Edwards Digital Frames and Brushes And I am pretty excited I added a Video to my Layout- thanks to Traci Reed’s tutorial *I am trying to get these pages done quickly since I am really far behind so there isn’t a […]

10. […] Add Video to Project Life from Traci Reed  […]