Top 5 iPhone/iPad Apps for Project Life, Project 365, December Daily and more!

Are you like me and always start the new year with big aspirations for Project 365, Project Life or any of the other numerous “daily” projects out there? Or maybe you’re just looking for a way to keep better track of your memories for when you sit down to do non-project related pages?  Well keep reading because I have 5 must-have apps to keep you organized in the coming year!

top-5-iphone-apps

5. VSCO Cam ($0.99)

vsco-cam

iPhone:

VSCO CAM - Visual Supply Company

Well, let’s start off with a camera app, eh?  You can’t have a post about scrapping/daily picture taking without a camera app on the list! As much as I’m a fan of Instagram for daily/social picture taking, I find myself wanting more out of my camera app when it comes to having pictures for scrapbooking.  I’ve been through a ton of apps (that will be a post unto itself  next month, but I think my absolute favorite, quality-wise is VSCO cam.  It’s simple to use, spits out great quality photos and has some filter functionality as well.  You can mess with brightness/contrast/saturation/focus and a whole host of other things in the app as well!

Developer Screenshots:

mzl.apviusue.320x480-75    mzl.zeulxfzi.320x480-75

4. Dropbox (Free)

unnamed

iPhone:

Dropbox - Dropbox

iPad:

Dropbox - Dropbox

Yes, I have an iPhone.  Yes, it syncs automatically to iPhoto through iCloud.  However, I find that to be incredibly messy since I don’t use iPhoto to organize my pictures.  With dropbox, not only does it automatically sync my photos to my home computer, but I can also add files to the dropbox that I want on my phone and download them on my phone directly from the app.  I find it to be a lot more intuitive and couldn’t live without this (free!) app.

Developer Screenshots:

mzl.gegpugkw.320x480-75 mzl.bsdrodsk.320x480-75

3. Photo-365 ($1.99)

photo365

iPhone:

Photo-365 - Benjamin Hsu

iPad:

Photo-365 - Benjamin Hsu

Doing more of a Project 365 than a Project life?  Then Photo-365 is perfect for you! This photo-based app has a calendar view and you can add captions to the photos, but the app is definitely photo-a-day based rather than journaling based. Bonus? Easy sharing on social media.

Developer Screenshots:

mzl.zwhdhnmu.320x480-75

2. DayOne ($4.99)

dayone-header

iPhone/iPad:

Day One - Journal - Bloom Built, LLC

Day One is a iPhone/iPad based journaling app that reminds you to make an entry and syncs with all your devices through iCloud.  You can add photos to your entries and make multiple entries a day. Combined with a calendar view, this app is great for keeping track of daily life, whether you’re doing project life or not.  Bonus, you can tag your entries with keywords (such as ProjectLife) for easy search ability later. The only thing that I don’t love about it is that it doesn’t sync with your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram like Memento does.  I DO love it’s reminder function though, that will keep me on track!

Developer Screenshots:

mzl.ocwwzgou.320x480-75  mzl.tpnqzeno.320x480-75

1. Momento ($0.99)

momento

iPhone:

Momento (Diary/Journal) - d3i Ltd

I love this app! It’s my number one app because it syncs across facebook, twitter and instagram and forms nice little entries day by day with all your feeds! Plus, you can also journal right in app (with pictures) if you so desire as well. The only thing I wish it had was a reminder function like Day One, and then I wouldn’t need any other app to keep track of Project Life.  Though for a 99 cent price tag, you can’t really complain.

Developer Screenshots:

mzl.namplqmj.320x480-75 mzl.qtzvdeok.320x480-75

Well, what do you think? Is there anything I missed?  Maybe you use something awesome I haven’t found yet!  Let me know in the comments below!

23 comments on Top 5 iPhone/iPad Apps for Project Life, Project 365, December Daily and more!

1. Christine
    December 29, 2012 at 5:53 am (5 years ago)

Great list Traci and I have, and use them all!

I have a few more.
    Having no children at home and being more or less home bound taking pics can become boring because I am a wheelchair user and can not go out by myself. The solution I found to challenge myself and take fun photos is through the app InstaCC. InstaCC offered you series of challenges. A daily creative challenge forces you to look around you and develop your creativity. I created great gallery of photos. It has a build in calendar like the 365 app. You can choose your challenges on topic and on time. Some run 4 days others 7 or months.
    It generates auto hash tags an post to Instagram automagically. IIRC the app is free but the 365 challenge, for a whole year, cost 1.99 other challenges are free.

Next to Momento I use Everyday.me it does the same as Momento but I like the emails they send you called ‘blast from the past’ . They will send you a photo or text entry from that date 1 or 2 years ago. I think it’s fun. :-)

I’m in love with square photography. I even have a book about it. There are not many high quality apps that take square pics. I like apps that take just photos, the editing I use other apps for if needed. My favorite app for square photos is 6×6 it does just that. Take high quality 6×6 photos. Color or bl/wh.

The app that I love for text on my photos and because I can import my own fonts into it is Phonto. If you want me to write a tutorial on how to import fonts into it I’m happy to do so.

I just won a new photo app from Trey Ratcliff, Light Photo. I’m playing with it and am amazed at the technique.

For copying amazing layouts for inspiration or kits, text or images and write about it in my PL I use Evernote and EverClip. Select an image or text copy it, open EverClip tag it if you want to and send it to Evernote with one click.
    Evernote is available for Mac and for iPad and iPhone so it all syncs beautifully.

I could go on, because I’m an app addict but will stop here. :-)

• Traci Reed
      December 29, 2012 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

Awesome list!! I’ll have to check some of these out! I have Phonto but never really use it for PL style stuff :)

2. PeggyNC
    December 29, 2012 at 7:08 am (5 years ago)

Thank you Traci and Christine! Both of you have been very helpful. I have the first iPad, it doesnt have a camera. My digital camera is old, and I need to replace it (i want a canon rebel) but I have a very nice little tripod. I have to use a tripod because I too am disabled and cause camera shake. Until i gotthe tripod, I had to depend on someone else to take a photo for me, which means I have a lot of events with no personal photos.

I love Dropbox, and use it all the time! I also use a note app but have been looking for a more user-friendly one. I will be heading to the app store today to try out your suggestions

• Traci Reed
      December 29, 2012 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

You’re welcome!

• Christine
      December 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm (5 years ago)

Oh Peggy i know exactly what you mean. I too have blurred and shaky photos. The iPhone has been very helpful for me, I too use one of those tripods that you can wrap around almost anything or bends its legs so it will stand on uneven terrain. But what has been even more helpful if I have a blurry photo and I can’t take another one is to use one of those filters and call it artistic impression 😉
      I have sponsored a Kickstarter project called HiLo lens. It’s a lens you can put on your iPhone/iPad and take photos from a different angle. Ideal for people in wheelchairs. It does not help you Peggy since you do not have an iPhone or iPad with a camera but I still wanted to mention it. Maybe you will opt for an iPhone instead of the Rebel 😉
      If anyone is interested in the HiLo lens here is the Kickstarter page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/marknzed/hilo-lens-for-iphone-and-ipad

I have a dslr the Sony Alpha 500, it’s heavy and I do not use it often except if I put out the tripod etc. The Sony has a live window that folds out making it possible for me to see what I’m shooting and no need to lie on the ground to actually get a shot of that flower. 😉

3. Krista Jensen
    December 31, 2012 at 12:21 am (5 years ago)

Thank you for the great list, Traci! I have had my eye on Day One Journal and Momento for a while now. I noticed Momento lets you attach more than 1 photo a day. Does One Day Journal also let you do more than 1?
    TIA, Krista J.

• Traci Reed
      December 31, 2012 at 2:28 am (5 years ago)

As far as I can tell it’s only one picture per entry on Day One.

• Krista Jensen
        January 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm (5 years ago)

That’s what I thought. Thanks!
        I actually downloaded the app that goes with Everyday.me and am really enjoying that so far. Before I used “Oh Life!” but I was really wanting something that had an app associated with the website. So Everyday.me seems to be just what I’ve been looking for!
        Thanks again for your list and for others suggestions as well!
        Have a blessed New Year!!
        ~Krista J.

4. Cyndie
    January 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm (5 years ago)

I love Momento. It helps me keep track of dates for when I want to go back and journal.

5. Emily
    January 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm (5 years ago)

I downloaded the DayOne App on December 30 & started using it 1/1. I love it – it is super helpful, but I am having to challenge myself to remember to write in it daily.

I am going to check out dropbox, seems everyone is talking about it lately!

Thank you for this great resource!

• Christine
      January 14, 2013 at 4:52 am (5 years ago)

Emily,

You can set a reminder in DayOne on de Mac, if you use it there. It has in the main window a bell. when you click that you will see that you can set a time to remind you that you need to journal. A window will pop up and is also has a prompt in a small window next to it i you’re out of ideas 😉

I don’t have my iPhone or iPad here atm so I can’t see if it also has the same reminder in that version. But if not you can use the Reminder app that comes with your phone or ipad. Just set a time that you want to be reminded and off you go!

• Christine
        January 14, 2013 at 7:03 am (5 years ago)

Hi Emily, I had a look at my iPhone and iPad Day One apps and the both have reminder options. Just look under the button ‘settings’, it says Reminder, click the add or + button to add a reminder. You can choose the time and frequency.

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have further questions.

With regard to Dropbox, you get a certain amount of space on their sever. I don’t remember how much it was, I have been using it for a long time. It’s free, you will get a link that you can give out to friends who do not have Dropbox yet and if they sign up you get a substantial amount of space added to your account.

Dropbox has the feature that when you connect your phone or iPad it can automagically upload all your photos to the Dropbox server. Great back-up and you have your photos available everywhere. Now the funny thing with the photo upload is that the more photos you upload the more space you get.
        I find that hilarious. With other services the more you upload the less spas you have. Not so with Dropbox. I was organizing my photos today, so times I take 3 or 4 almost the same photos and threw some away and discovered that I still have 5000 photos in the upload folder.

You have to pay attention because with the Dropbox comes inside the Dropbox also a folder called ‘photos’ now if you put photos in there than they do count towards you space limit. Photos in the photos folder have an album layout so you can share that folder with others. You have to look at the ‘upload Camera’ function as a different area.

Dropbox has plenty of help data online if you’re stuck or you can ask here for help! Good luck!:-) let us know if you manage.

6. Susan
    January 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm (4 years ago)

Great list Traci. I bought Day One and Memento per your recommendation and I love them. It is sooo much easier keeping track of the week with them. Also, we are very busy right now trying to sell our home and I don’t have the time to work on my PL album. But now that I have these apps, I have my journaling and pics ready to go. It makes catching up so much easier and I feel less likely to give up.

Thanks for the tips!

Susan

• Traci Reed
      January 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm (4 years ago)

Awww that’s so awesome Susan, glad I could be of service!! P.S. I miss you!

7. Deb
    March 24, 2013 at 8:47 am (4 years ago)

Traci, this has been awesome for me! I am new to Project Life and a new owner of an iPhone 5. I am not that busy as all my children are grown-ups now. I have 10 grandchildren and they are scattered in the western provinces of Canada. However, I do want to leave a legacy for them, so I plug away at PL and love it! I just downloaded Momento and had I already had OneDay but never used it yet.
    Thank you so much for the list! It was truly amazing to find your site!

• Traci Reed
      March 26, 2013 at 10:50 am (4 years ago)

I’m so glad you found it useful Deb! I have a ton of project life articles on the site, feel free to browse when you have time!

8. Shannon A
    May 14, 2013 at 11:28 am (4 years ago)

Great List!! Question, I’ve just downloaded Memento, is there a way to print from Memento? Have you done that at all for your PL albums?

9. Joanne
    May 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm (4 years ago)

Hi There.
    Thank you soo much for this list. I’ve used Dropbox, one of my faves.

I love love love love love Momento! So useful. Now I won’t waste paper!

10. Donna
    December 6, 2013 at 10:08 am (4 years ago)

Hate to sound like such a nerd, but I have no clue where to find these apps. I have an iphone4, and would love to use it more, esp. for P.L., but have no clue what I’m doing. LOL! When I visit the app store on my phone, it seems to be full of things I’m not interested in, games, etc. My areas of interest are genealogy and scrapbooking for my genealogy projects. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m basically self-taught re: iphone and computer, so need an explanation a 6 yr. old could understand! LOL!

• Rachel
      January 18, 2014 at 6:58 am (3 years ago)

Donna- you’re off to a good start with the App Store- just click in the search box near the top and search for each one by title. You should be able to find them that way!

• Traci Reed
      January 18, 2014 at 3:30 pm (3 years ago)

You can also click the links above!

11. Derick Ruder
    December 7, 2015 at 1:46 am (2 years ago)

It’s surprising you’re not more popular because you definitely

12. Doug Rozycki
    December 7, 2015 at 1:51 am (2 years ago)

szybko Zrobilam sie Emmett zdziwil przybita z widac do mnie jezdzisz talentach